Small black thin insect interested in my Bee Hotel

I have seen a 1 inch long very thin black insect with an ants head and what looks like a second body shape sticking up from its back . There is also a lighted colour tail on the second body part. It was interested in the cells in my bee hotel that had recently been filled by a bee laying its eggs. I dont have a camera.Any thoughts as to what it could be and is it harmful to my bees
Never change Tigers in Mid Stream

• BijdezeeBijdezee Bruges, BelgiumPosts: 750
    Probably a sort of parasitic wasp. 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,324
    edited June 2018
    If it is, I would imagine that, yes, it would be harmful to bees.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,741
    You don’t say of it was a flying or a crawling insect but my guess, from its size and thinness, is that it was an ichneumon wasp.

Ichneumon wasps generally lay their eggs on caterpillars or other living things or their eggs. 
    The wasp larvae then use the host as a food source.

Before you worry about the wasp being harmful to your bees, bear in mind that it has its place in the natural cycle of life and is no more harmful to the bees than we humans are to the animals which provide us with meat, milk and eggs.

Here is a link to a variety of photographs and descriptions of British ichneumon wasps. You may see it there.

https://www.naturespot.org.uk/sites/default/files/downloads/british-ichneumonid-wasps-id-guide.pdf

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • LauraRoslinLauraRoslin Posts: 496
    Yeah..... but we tend not to bury our young inside a cow for it to eat its way out.   Terry Pratchett called it an Icky Newman wasp and I agree with him.
    I wish I was a glow worm
    A glow worm's never glum
    Cos how can you be grumpy
    When the sun shines out your bum!
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,138
    PANSYFACE...THANK YOU VERY MUCH AS THAT WAS VERY HELPFUL. I DO APPRECIATE THAT ALL ANIMALS HAVE A PLACE IN THE CHAIN AND FROM OUR CONVERSATION IN 2016 YES I HAVE BEEN A VEGETARIAN SINCE THE 1990 S.

Never change Tigers in Mid Stream
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 1,807
    Humans are generally quite harmful to the animals we eat, we kill them. I would choose a bee over a parasitic wasp any day! 
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,741
    I would say that human beings are quite parasitic things. We do unnatural things to other living creatures for our own pleasure rather than for the natural continuation of our species.

Veal calves kept in confined spaces and killed at four months old. 

Foie gras created by force feeding a bird that has already eaten its fill and doesn’t want to be fed any more.

Give me an ichneumon wasp over a human being any day. 
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 1,807
    I agree completely and I see your point but the choice is bee or wasp and bees need a bit of TLC at the moment, again thanks to lovely humans!! We mess up the world every day so if we can help in any way I think we should. I would kill the wasp. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,607
    And who knows which bit of the balance we upset when we think we know best and kill the wasp?  :/

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,999
    When we hear about the reducing insect numbers the emphasis is always on bees. Is this due to commercial interest (ie money) in insects that are not part of our wildlife? Bees in commercial hives are not wildlife anymore than cows or dogs are. If we are serious about improving our wildlife situation we need to respect it all and not interfere with the food chain and insect life cycles