Forum home The potting shed

Chuffed With Myself

MrsFoxgloveMrsFoxglove SurreyPosts: 180
In my bid to try and curb my spending on horticultural delights and everything involving them I had to face up to the fact that, sadly, I can't go out and spend money on more new pots..
I love the Kew long toms and have about 12 as well as lots of other nice ones but they're just too expensive to keep buying  every time I get new plants (which is frequently :o ) - i'm also trying to sow from seed now to save funds. 

So yesterday I went to the garden centre and asked if i could have one of their wooden delivery palettes and one of the staff led me out the back to take my pick, I chose the chunkiest one I could find and made this planter today.

I'm so chuffed as I had asked my husband to make it for me but I really couldn't be bothered waiting for him to get around to doing it so out came the saw, drill and an old pot of wood paint and voila! 

Didn't cost a penny as we had screws knocking around in the toolbox too. 

Not saying i'm on Noahs' level of carpentery or anything but i'm pleased as punch that I now have a new container waiting to be filled up. I have a few delphiniums needing a home and have some coriander to sow and plant on so i'm sure i'll fill it no time  :#  

It's definitley worth getting hold of some pallettes if like me you can't justify splashing out on pots from the garden centre  :)

The only thing is that niw I know I can get a container for free it may lead to me buying more plants  :D

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,739
    Well done - but if you just dug up some more grass to make new beds or bigger beds you wouldn't need more containers.......
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • MrsFoxgloveMrsFoxglove SurreyPosts: 180
    Obelixx said:
    Well done - but if you just dug up some more grass to make new beds or bigger beds you wouldn't need more containers.......
    Absolutely no way in hell i'm digging up my lawn  :D dug it up and returfed it all by myself last year  :#

I don't have borders as our cottage garden is weeny and container gardening suits me much better as I can move them around to follow the sun etc

So containers are a must as I like to fill every nook and cranny  :dizzy:

• SussexsunSussexsun Posts: 1,444
    I have found some real bargain pots on eBay plus I have bought serveral pots from Morrison’s. Earlier this year they were selling a set of 4 for £15. Nothing fancy but good value for the money.
    To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower Hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour.

• Valley GardenerValley Gardener Posts: 1,885
    Well done Mrs F. I think that's very enterprising! 
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,343
    Splendid! Mrs F  :D
    You and @WonkyWomble should set up in business together.  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Splendid! Mrs F  :D
    You and @WonkyWomble should set up in business together.  :)
    Thank you :)

I'd say i've got the "wonky" bit covered  :D

I'll definitely be going back for more as I want a little veggie patch for my 4 year old little girl to experiment with :# 
    Well done Mrs F. I think that's very enterprising! 
     :#  I feel like i've earned a new plant now or at the very least a packet of seeds   :D