Forum home The potting shed

I'm sure I saw this on Gardeners' World

Hello. I'm sure I saw a bit of GW where Monty Don explained how to reuse old potting compost by adding feed granules to it. I've had a Google but I can't find reference to it. 
Can anyone help please or did I dream it? (not unknown) :)

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,492
    Do you watch Beechgrove?  I thought I saw it on there.  
    Utah, USA.
  • No I don't sorry. I don't watch GW often either. It will have been on this year.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,375
    Do you not just add granules to old compost?
  • I think that's what he said but I wanted to check the dosage. Interestingly, when I Googled, he'd written previously that it's not a good idea to reuse and just to put it on the compost heap.
    My heaps are working as fast as they can but I  still need to buy far too much potting compost.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,375
    No, not a great idea to re-use as potting compost - but because there is the risk of remaining pathogens, fungi and eggs etc in the compost.  Used as a mulch / soil mix it should be fine.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,531
    What are you using it for? It can be fine for plants that don't like too much nutrients. Or you can mix it up with good fertile stuff to bulk out raised beds. Or you can add it to the compost heap to rejuvenate it. There's always a greater risk of disease and pests with reused soil though.
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,495
    Isn't it ok for single use bulbs like modern tulips?
    I tip it onto my garden to improve the clay. The worms work it in.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,599
    I'm sure I saw the same thing and it must have been on GW.  Slow release granules would provide feed for a period just as nutrient will eventually run out even in new compost.  I would be more inclined to mix half new compost with the existing along with granules.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,297
    I always plant everything in tubs so lots of compost. I leave the bottom half of last year's in the tub and fill the top with new and slow release feed. Works well for me both outside and in the greenhouse, always get plenty of growth/crop.
  • UpNorthUpNorth South Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK Posts: 374
    was it slow release?   I think it might have been Fish Blood Bone...