I will / I won't grow that again ... 2018

DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 47,125
We had an old thread on this subject  https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/139715/i-will-i-wont-grow-that-again

Thought it was time for a new one  :)
If you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. You won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.” 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 47,125
    Very very pleased with these courgettes (or strictly speaking, zucchini as they're an Italian variety)  

http://www.mr-fothergills.co.uk/Vegetable-Seeds/Courgette-Seed/Courgette-Romanesco-Seeds.html#.Wy9616pKjIU

Lovely healthy plants, no sign of mildew at all so far, plenty of female flowers even early on, a heavy crop of slim really well-flavoured fruits that don't turn into marrows as soon as your back is turned and definitely none of that spongy cotton-wool texture. 

I'm growing mine in the ground but  @WonkyWomble is growing hers in containers and she is just as pleased with hers ... she's given some away to neighbours already this early in the season and they all love the flavour. 
    If you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. You won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.” 
  • PicidaePicidae RutlandPosts: 164
    I’ll definitely be growing again petunia Tidal Wave ‘Red Velour’. They’re probably only at their half way stage at the moment.

Lupin ‘Manhattan’ however is already on a yellow card. One more season of greenfly infestation and it’s getting its marching orders.
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 256
    More alliums 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 4,125
    Much more diascia Juliet red - a gorgeous deep tone. They take easily from cuttings, so I will be taking lots.
    Probably more perennial foxgloves.
    Planting perennial, species tulips in the autumn
    More Canon Went. Loads more.
    More fuchsia-coloured dwarf geraniums.

No more sunflowers. I can't be bothered.
    I don't think hellebores like me. I might give them up.
    No more Hotlips.
    No more bloody honeysuckle. Ever.

• LynLyn Posts: 9,874
    I will always sow Lupins, Foxgloves and delphiniums, ready for the following year, they suit my cottage stay Garden.

i won’t be sowing anymore veg except runner beans and tomatoes. Too much hassle with preparation and watering.  My tomatoes and strawberries are all green house grown, easy to water. Drought resistant runner beans so need no treatment. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
    I live in fear and desperation,
    should I die before I die to live again.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 24,925
    I'm giving up with tomatoes. They look pathetic this year, hardly got any last year. Not worth the effort and water. Sainsburys have perfectly good tomatoes
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 47,125
     :)  Oh dear Nut  ;)  
  • LynLyn Posts: 9,874
    That’s a shame Nut, my tomatoes are always very good but then they are all in the GH, can’t grow them outside as it’s usually to wet and windy, not so this year😀
    i haven’t long finished using them from the GH. 
    Usually grow parsnips enough to last the year but can’t be bothered this year.
    I’d rather have flowers and have gone overboard on baskets and tubs.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
    I live in fear and desperation,
    should I die before I die to live again.
  • paul_in_surreypaul_in_surrey Posts: 239
    I've always struggled to grow decent salad, but this year I'm really happy with my lettuce and spring onion crops and the best thing is they're both from the Wilko cheapo range. I used the Bunching Ishikuru spring onions.
    I'm not going to grow their salad leaves again though, as I might as well just eat the dandelions.
    “Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.” Winston Churchill
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 599
    I am beginning to agree with you Nut. I grew better tomatoes and peppers (less watering required than here, oddly) in a hotter part of Spain than where I am now. I think its partly the exposed terrace situation of the veg garden, partly poor soil that no matter what I throw at it in terms of manure and compost it never seems to be enough. Will give it one last try next year.

I want to grow more echinaceas, mine are fantastic and beating everything else hands-down in terms of colour, impact and lush growth. More Agastache Black Adder too, it’s got to 1.25 metres high in its first season and looking fab.