Forum home The potting shed

Autumn and Spring planting bulbs did not get planted. Costly mistake?

Hi, 
I am in desperate need of advice please.

Last October I bought hundreds of expensive Autumn 2017 & Spring 2018 planting bulbs.
Unfortunately none of them got planted.
They are all still in their brown paper bags & boxes mostly in the dark.
I have not dared to look at them properly as I am too frightened that they will all be no good now.
I noticed that some have started to sprout & grow. 
What should I do with them, plant regardless & hope for the best, refridgerate or maybe plant this Autumn or 'other'?
I would be so grateful for any advice, hopefully positive in the hope that all is not lost...

Thank you so much!  :'(

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160
    plant them and hope some survive. They won't improve with further storage. plants need soil and the sooner the better
  • SussexsunSussexsun Posts: 1,444
    Any that are soft or rotten I would just bin. The ones shooting or still firm I would plant and with a bit of luck they will survive.
    To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower Hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour.

• IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364
    As long as the bulbs are not rotten just see if they will work.  I planted some left over bulbs from the previous year I found in my daughters shed that she had not managed to plant. They all grew quite well if very late. 
    They might do well with a good dollop of bonemeal when you come to prepare them for flowering the next year. 

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• CamassiaCamassia Posts: 4
    Thank you all so much!
    Ì will plant them & hope for the best. You are right, the bulbs will not benefit from further storage.
    Thank again x

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,192
    If it's any consolation I bought a load of bulbs back in the autumn and only got around to planting about half. The planted ones all rotted due to the terrible winter. A few tete a tetes came up and promptly got frozen and I've got a few alliums now but they're pretty weak looking things.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 9,456
    Yes, loads of my bulbs rotted in all the rain and snow.
  • CamassiaCamassia Posts: 4
    I think I should plant them in pots so that I can wrap them for winter & put in the greenhouse. Maybe that will  give them a better chance of survival ?  :)