Rose plant called Alien

I have a rose called Alien planted by hubby in the late sixties.  It has grown to about six feet plus.  All the rose buds are at the top two feet, then about four feet of just bare branches.  Right at the bottom I found a new branch growing.  I exposed this having cut away a lot of the Winter Jasmine that had been growing around it.

I would like to encourage growth in the bare section.  What should I do to achieve this?  Pictures attached.  Thank you for any help received.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,450
    The best way to promote new growth is the spring prune.   Too late for that this year but you can help it along so it's in good state for pruning next spring.

Give it a good feed of slow release rose fertiliser as well as watering with liquid tomato food once a week until mid July.   This will encourage good growth and flowers.   Keep the rose clear of other plants so that any dormant buds on the bare bits have the best chance to grow and develop.  Keep it dead headed so it doesn't waste energy on hips.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thank you for that information Obelixx, most helpful.  Should I try and support the top with a stake of some sort and how much do I prune next spring?  Chop the top lot off completely or not?
    If the top is flopping about in the wind then yes, a loosely tied support would help - not tight as a bit of movement strengthens stems and they don't want to be strangled either.

How you prune next spring depends on what new growth you get lower down.  The RHS offers these tips for general rose pruning with links to specific rose pruning - shrub, climber etc - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=186    Have a read and bookmark it for next February/March.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • The top is flopping about somewhat.  I'll see what I can find to help support it.  I shall bookmark the link that you have given me.  Many thanks for your advice, much appreciated.
    Good luck with it.   You could try taking cuttings later on and make new roses if you have the patience to wait for them to develop.   More info from the RHS here if you scroll down to propagation - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=153

• I shall read the link about propagation and see if I wish to try this.  I cannot seem to find any reference on the internet for this rose.  It doesn't seem to exist!  I can only assume that it is such an old rose that no-one grows it any more.  If I use the word alien I just get a load of sci-fi type websites.  Not quite what I am looking for!  Many thanks again for your suggestions.
    I can't find anything either.  Are you sure you have the correct name?   Can you remember where you bought it?   If it came direct from the breeder's nursery that would give a clue.
  • Hubby seems to be positive that it is called Alien/Alian.  He bought it in a local plant shop and it had a bag on the roots.  I guess my picture doesn't really give any clues as there must be loads of roses that look like it.  Perhaps I should work my way through a list of roses beginning with A and see if I can find one that looks like ours.  I remember him telling me years ago that it was called Alien.  It has a scent to it.