Mole is back..

BijdezeeBijdezee Bruges, BelgiumPosts: 750
I thought we had ousted him with the garlic and the euphorbias but no... He's back. Must have been on a long early summer break as he was gone for several weeks. It's proved impossible to humane trap him  :/

Just wanted to moan sorry. 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,850
    We tried humane traps but they were a total failure.  tried all sorts - noises, bottles, pongs but the only thing that worked was the détaupeur I bought in a garden centre in Gembloux.  Not available in the UK but there are professional mole catchers.

We stopped using it when we got the dogs but the size of the hills the moles round here are making is making me think I may have to get it out again.

Not available in the UK but there are professional mole catchers for those who find their tunneling and hills dangerous - twisted ankles, dodgy backs etc not to mention damage to plants.   
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • BijdezeeBijdezee Bruges, BelgiumPosts: 750
    Im in belgium maybe i could get that. What is it though? 
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,741
    edited June 2018
    We had an unexpected visit from a mole earlier this year. In the middle of the lawn.
    I am a vegetarian and don’t like to kill things but I also like a flat lawn.

I read that pickled onions put down the tunnels, inside the molehills and anywhere else you see a hole, will get rid of moles. I was dubious to say the least.... But a big bottle of pickled onions was only 26p. in the Co-op so I thought I’d give it a go.

It worked.

Can you buy big, brown pickled onions in vinegar in Belgium? Like these?
    If so, put two or three down each molehill tunnel as far as they will go and cover the hole with soil.

The mole will not reappear in that tunnel.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    http://www.detaupeur.com/    If you prefer the pickled onion route and can't find them in Belgian supermarkets you can try any British grocery store such as Stone Manor at Everberg and Waterloo.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    edited June 2018
    Sadly no Pansy face, i havent found any decent pickled onions here. Only the stupid little white ones. They dont do ANY decent pickles here. 

Ive been to stone manor,  its quite far from us now so that would be an expensive pot of onions.  :)

Well, If i can i will try to get husband to dig down and find the run. Try the humane trap again. Oh, and where the last molehill came up was directly under my alliums so it cant be too bothered by onions
    You'd have to buy a lot of pickled onions or malt vinegar to make your own for it to be worthwhile, unless you're in the vicinity one day.
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 489
    While you discuss the merits of your pickled onions has anyone tried the ultrasonic thing you can buy?
    Saw a dead mole yesterday and its very sweet but maybe not in your lawn. I am sure I have seen tubs of  mole soil for sale perhaps you could start up a business on that well known auction site @Bijdezee

edited June 2018
    Yes.  Also tried smelly things like moth balls, bottles that carry wind noise down the tunnels, musical thingies from birthday cards, blasting with a  hose pipe down the tunneling, coffee from filter machine, humane trap.............

None worked.
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 489
    Learn to love your mole it obviously loves you,!
    K67 said:
    Learn to love your mole it obviously loves you,!
    And both neighbours.