Edging for my wildlife pond

Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,497
The pond has been there for nearly 2 years and I need to do something to cover the edge. I've put in lots of creeping thyme Jekka, and some Ajuga Black Scallop where it gets less sun, but they'll take a while to get going.
I'm not keen on slabs, but I had a theory....
The pond has shelves at either end, but not elsewhere, so I wondered If I bought some plants in baskets, I could drill holes in the fiberglass edge and use fishing line to attach the baskets tied to the holes so thy're suspended in the pond at whatever depth they require.

Does this make sense? and if so any suggestions as to what to plant?

A lot of the plants I buy seem to fade away in a few weeks, not sure why. But the Brooklime (suggested by Dove) is growing very fast and the water mint is doing ok.
I'm on my 3rd water lily (@ £20 a pop!!) but that does seem to be growing a bit now.
I've been using Velda Growth Balls for a couple of months  - not sure if it's made any difference though.
The pH of the water is 8 and TDS 0.03

The pots of toadflax are there to try and stop the blackbirds digging and filling the pond with soil..

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,552
    edited June 2018
    The bit on the left hand side, where you've got the plants and the flat rocks etc. looks lovely. Can you not get more of those flat stones for the rest of the edge? The irregular shape means you can tuck in plants between them, and you could mound the soil up slightly behind them, so that trailing plants could grow down towards the water. They would give lots of hiding places for various beasties too.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,497
    Thanks @Buttercupdays
    That is an option I'd considered. It would definitely work well and was what I was planning on doing, but as it's such a narrow space with a lot of paving around it, my vision was to have the rocks and logs going into the pond at just one end and have the rest smothered in low growing plants so it looks as natural as possible and covers the green lip of the pond.
    In time the thyme, marjoram and ajuga will hopefully give a carpet of evergreen plants around the edge to hide the lip, and I can dot some small perennials here and there. I was pondering yesterday when I had light-bulb moment of tying submerged baskets of aquatic plants to the lip of the pond which I thought would give a nice natural transition.
    I was just wondering why it might not work, but if it does, then what sort of easy to grow plants I could use to achieve that effect.
    And if there's a reason not to do it, then your idea seems the way to go.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.