Forum home Problem solving

Sudden dead leaves on Prunus Kojo no mai

I have had a kojo no mai tree in a pot for a year or so and it’s been great. I’ve recently had vine weevil problems in other pots, so have just put down a thick layer of gravel to help stop the larvae.
However this week I have noticed that some random branches of leaves are dying. I am hoping it is just warm the weather, perhaps I’ve not been watering it enough, but it seemed very sudden and only certain branches. I’m really hoping that I wasn’t too late with the gravel, and that the problem is caused by vine weevil larvae 😐

Can anyone shed any light on the odd way that only some branches are effected? Some in direct sunlight, some not. Just under the dead leaves there are new buds which gives me hope?

Many thanks

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,544
    I got one of these this spring as a point of sale impulse buy. It was covered in flowers and about a foot tall. 

The minute the flowers faded, the leaves on some branches began to go brown. The branches were in fact dying. 

I cut back the dead bits and more died. I have ended up with a plant which now has one branch which is about six inches long.

Don’t know what happened,  but if it’s a primadonna it won’t be taking advantage of my hospitality for long.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    I had this shrub in the garden for fifteen years and every year some branches died off.
    SW Scotland
  • Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653
    Same as Joyce here, some leaves and short branches seem to die within a month of flowering but then later in Summer more seem to open. 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,617
    It does seem to be either a case of not enough water or too much hot sunshine. I've now moved mine into a shadier position and am keeping an eye on it, watering frequently - it's a pretty boring looking plant once the flowers are over I think. 
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    I grew a clematis through mine.
    SW Scotland
  • Loz46Loz46 Posts: 103
    Thanks for your comments everyone.

I think you’re right Lizzie, not that interesting after the blossom which is a shame! It is in a west facing position in a relatively small pot which is in full sun itself, so it probably is suffering a bit with all this hot weather. I’ve been giving a good dousing of water every day and there doesn’t appear to be any more dead leaves since.