Monty's Tree Planting Tonight

stewyfizzstewyfizz West BromwichPosts: 161
When Monty was planting that tree on tonights GW (cant remember the name) i was surprised he didn't remove all that moss and weed from around it. We are told too, or didn't it matter as he mulched it thickly?
Gardening. The cause of, and solution to, all of my problems.

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Todmorden, West YorksPosts: 5,269
    I guess that's right, Stewyfizz - Monty smothered the moss etc. with mulch.  Like you, I'd have removed it, though.  (I think it was a Cornus kousa, by the way.)
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • I was thinking the same as you - I would have removed it too. I'm sure it will end up growing through the mulch because ,as he said, it's got phosphate which will feed the tree - and I would think the weeds too!
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,999
    He also said it ( Cornus Kousa China Girl ) had "white flowers" . The white bits are bracts , not flowers.
    I've long since given up expecting factual accuracy and "best pracice" from MD. At least he teased the roots on the Cornus, something he very rarely does.
    Devon.