Forum home Wildlife gardening

Wild flower/meadow patch

RoddersUKRoddersUK Swanwick - SouthamptonPosts: 150
Hi all,

We left a section of grass at work to grow wild, in spring it was quite nice with a variety of wild floweres, now loads of grass has grown. 
I understand I cant just cut it later in the year, sprinkle wild flower seed and all will be good next spring?

What can be done, is it a case of churning it all up? 

I see bees and butterflies using what there is there, but it could be a lot better

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,428
    Till over strips in the yard and sow with wildflowers or other open pollination annuals.  You'll end up with stripes of flowers.. but it's easier than other methods.  Enough grass will grow back up in the tilled strips that it will blend together, somewhat.  
    Utah, USA.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,065
    When the flowers have seeded, you can cut the grass to make it tidy, if you want to. You don't need to add seeds, wild flowers will arrive by natural methods over time.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 3,678
    I have some pics on garden design 18th June, of my little wildflower patch and others more a glorious meadow, quite lovelly, wild flowers definitely didnt arrive naturally overtime, its taken 4 years of expensive and hard graft.  Grass will always want to dominate, tried the yellow ratle, parasite for the grass 0 germination.
  • treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,921
    if you sow seed over existing grass what you'll get is just grass, the grass will swamp any seedlings, you need to clear sections (at least 1m square) to get the seedlings started, or you can use wildflower plug plants, you also need to sow yellow rattle which will knock back the grass a bit.
    Sorry, Nanny Beach. My grass is full of wild flowers, most of which I'm trying to get rid of! Seeds come in from the fields and downs, the verges, the near-by cemetery and with all the animals, domestic and wild that come through.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 3,678
    My actual "lawn" has a mix, I dont feed or weed, its not "Wimbledon" celendine in spring, now clover, daisies,oxalis, and some oher stuff I cant name, but its not a wildflower meadow,we have 2 dogs 2 young grandchildren,but then some folk on here dont mind dandilions or brambles!
    We have brambles, honeysuckle and dog roses in the field hedge and bluebells,  primroses and cowslips in the grass in spring, with a mix of native and cultivated daffs. There are wild violets and countless plants I can't name but we keep the grass short, there isn't a meadow.
     The land a short walk from us belongs to a wealthy businessman with a passion for nature. He has returned acres of grazing and downland to healthy, organic wild meadow with rare flowers - beautiful.
  • ZeroZero1ZeroZero1 Posts: 564
    In day's of your meadows were often scythed at the end of the year for hay. Also sheep and other wildstock used to graze. The tip about yellow rattle is a good one, this plant is a parasite to grass  - but of course you have to establish it. Cutting the grass really low a few times should weaken it too. Keep the soil poor.
    My wild patch goes through phases, It has it's own agenda