Forum home Problem solving

How to Stop Dog Urinating on Plants

Hello, I have spent the past several months tidying up my new garden and planting lots of new flowers, shrubs and trees. Everything is finally starting to come together. However, I have a large dog and when I let him out into the back garden he keeping lifting his leg up to all my lovely new plants. If I see him do it, then I quickly grab the hose and spray the 'affect' area (wash off the urine). However, sometimes I don't see him do it and I am starting to see the 'burned' spots on some of the flowers and shrubs and I'm not sure what affect urine will have on newly planted trees. 

Does anyone have any advice or know of a safe solution for both the plants and my dog?

Thank you!

• Andy19Andy19 Posts: 671
    Hi used to train racing dogs for years get a road traffic cone and pour some of a urine sample on the cone. The dog will then do his at the cone more so if you use another dogs urine never failed for us over the years hope this helps with your problem.
  • :) Thank you Andy19! I'll give it a try!
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,907
    I have used some cane and rope stuck a few feet away to protect newly planted things my dog took a fancy to. It works, until I remove them.  Either the plants are established enough to survive.. or they eventually die (as has happened once or twice).  Training is your best option.. if you have the energy for it.  Just put your cone out along the sidewalk.. you'll soon collect plenty of other dog 'smells' on there.  
    Utah, USA.
  • Thank you! That's a great idea to get lots of 'samples'. It is frustrating to spend so much time and money on the garden only to watch it being killed off!  :s
    Hopefully the plants will recover!

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,045
    Have you tried training him at all? We've managed to get our collie to understand where he's allowed to mark his territory and where is off limits. It took a bit of work but he got there eventually. The only time when he disobeys is after another dog has been in the garden or if he's in a petulant mood and the little git wees on something just to annoy me. :|
    Some people bring joy wherever they go. Others, whenever they go. - Mark Twain.
  • It’s odd because I have never had a problem at my other house (he only used the grass). It seems to have started when I moved last year and started transforming the new garden, suddenly he’s peeing on plants. 
    I’ve tried taking him out on a lead to show him where to go (grass areas) and he’s brilliant. But then let him out at night or morning when I’m in dressing gown and don’t want to go out with him and he heads straight for my plants! Cheeky!!😁
    I think I might fence off a little grass area for him (and his cone!)😁