Forum home Garden design

Creating shade

lovegardening77lovegardening77 Berkshire Posts: 331
I would love some ideas on how to create more lushness and  shade at the top of the garden. That part is north east facing. I have a small wildlife pond up there about 2 metres away from the fence. The soil is heavy clay and damp. I want to create a sense of privacy as the fence is about 6ft high and you can see the houses further up the hill. Any ideas please?

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 20,042
    A pergola or arbour.   A sorbus - excellent garden tree and very good for wildlife.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • jblockhartjblockhart SomersetPosts: 32
    For trees I recommend a muti-stemmed birch ('Snow Queen' perhaps) and some informal and group planting of small silver birches underplanted with helebores, alchemilla mollis, ferns, hostas and bulbs such as bluebells to create more of a woodland feel. Agree with Obelixx that a pergola would be very nice. A timber one with climbers would be lovely. Vitis coignetiae would give beautiful autumn colour; Clematis 'avalanche' is evergreen and has white flowers in the spring; jasmine and climbing roses would be lovely too. Some mature yew hedging would give instant impact, a lush green feel and privacy. Search the internet as you can buy bare root specimens of about 2 metres height in the autumn and early spring for good value if you search suppliers. I recently used Derwen in Wales for mature rootballed yew as I was too late for bare root and it's great and a bargain at about £30 per plant.
    James
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 30,507
    I'll echo the others with a pergola - or even just a structure you can grow climbers on.
    I have what I call a 'privacy screen' in my garden which has my tiny pond in front of it, and two raised timber containers - one at each end - which have apple trees in them. The screen has clematis on it and some other bits and bobs, as well as the planting next to the pond. 
    As an alternative to James' and  Obelixx's suggestions - Amelanchiers will give some light shade, and are easy to keep in check. Good for wildlife too.   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• lovegardening77lovegardening77 Berkshire Posts: 331
    I like the pergola idea...... YouTube here I come!!!!!!! 
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,107
    I love those layers, a pergola would add another one
    I think building a pergola might be a bit above my DIY abilities so looking into arbours (a kit) instead.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,683
    How about an evergreen tree,not so many leaves to clear up, say a holly,  birds will love it too . Nice for shade/ privacy all year round.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 5,076
    A cheaper and easier project than an arbour is to make your own with just fence posts and trellis on 3 sides and one trellis panel over the top, so 4 posts 6ft x 3", 2 x 6ft x 3ft trellis, 1 x 6ft x 4ft or 6ft wide trellis for the back and a trellis panel over the top. Said 6ft high, as you'll be sitting inside it and easy to come by. You could get it all delivered online and then you only need to dig the post holes, get some bags of quick set post cement and bob's your uncle. probable cost, under a £100?
    Thankyou for your suggestions. It is compacted clay up there which I am slowly digging over and going to add lots of grit and compost. I can't dig deep enough down for fence posts. Aching all over today. I've got a Fatsia japonica to go up there, a pyracantha and a climbing hydrangea plus a little bit of honeysuckle. Then the plan is to underplant with ferns, hellebores and some Tiarella. I've also got hosta in pots which I'll place somewhere up there, too many slugs in this garden!