Forum home Garden design

Small gap between houses - planting ideas (North East Facing)

We have a small gap between our house and next doors wall, which is empty at the moment. Looking for some ideas of what to plant here. Think a few plants that are easy maintenance and probably evergreen to give some protection in case anybody tries to get down the gap. We won't really see the plants, so its more for next door than us!

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 788
    Is it worth it? Landscape fabric and gravel. For your neighbours to benefit you would need plants that grow fast and tall enough to be seen over the wall. Pyracantha would be nice and you could train it up the wall.
  • I guess we would want something to block the way slightly in case of burglars etc and it looks a bit funny being empty.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 6,273
    My neighbours have big spiky plants to put off burglars, but it generally attacks the owners more than interlopers. It is very off-putting, though.
    Pryracantha would certainly do that and they have nasty thorns!
  • ChrisWMChrisWM West Berkshire Posts: 201
    K67 said:
    Pryracantha would certainly do that and they have nasty thorns!
    Definitely. I can vouch for that, as it’s non too kind on the householder either. 
    If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • B3B3 Posts: 12,717
    edited June 2018
    Gravel and a pot in the corner. Jasmine would do well but it's very untidy.
    Or hypericum - again, you'd have to keep it pruned.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    edited June 2018
    Only drawback of planting or pots is they will need watering and the soil in the area looks non-existent. Although I do see a rainwater pipe there so maybe you could save some rainwater when we get some that is
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,868
    Gravel and a bunch of big jaggy rocks?  Difficult to carry your TV and treasures off through big jaggy rocks.  ;)  And the benefit of zero mantance, aside from a bit of weed pulling now and again.  If weeds are struggling to grow.. it will be difficult to grow desired plants.  
    Utah, USA.