Forum home Problem solving

Wisteria leaves curling

We have a beautiful wisteria we inherited with the house. This year some not all of the leaves have curled inwards - almost like spray damage but no spraying done. It flowered really well as usual. Any ideas what has caused this problem?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    Three things immediately come to mind: lack of water, aphids or scale insects.  Any chance of a couple of photo's?  One of the whole thing and a close-up of the front and rear of an affected leaf would be great.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,263
    I've got the same problem. There doesn't appear to be any aphids I can see and I've given the plant plenty of water.
  • diane711diane711 Stroud, Glos.Posts: 2
    I also have the same problem this year with our old but otherwise healthy wisteria. There are no bugs to be seen anywhere on it and I don’t think it’s lack of water. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Hello @diane711. The problem with curling wisteria leaves has come back again this year on ours. I do suspect it is lack of water deep down ( I recently had to dig a 2ft hole in our clay soil and it was as dry as a bone at the bottom). We're in the south west and haven't really had very much rain all year.  
  • diane711diane711 Stroud, Glos.Posts: 2
    Thanks Lizzie. I will try watering it more so hopefully it will survive and recover.
  • IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364
    My wisteria failed completely this year after the severe heat last year 
     Not a bud. The leaves were healthy and grew well but not a flower to be seen.

All I get was tendrils that look as if they are going to throttle me.

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,434
    I’ve seen dying trees in several places in East Anglia this year following last year’s drought ... usually mid sized trees (often oaks and ashes) whose roots have not yet penetrated far enough down to reach the water table which is much lower than usual in a lot of areas. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

I had another look at our wisteria this afternoon and it seems the wisteria on the end of the terrace wall (which is exposed) has suffered most, so I'm now wondering whether it is wind damage which has dessicated the leaves - we had high winds here a few nights ago.