Forum home Problem solving

backyard flooding

Hey all

Wondering if i can get some advice.

My backyard currently floods up to 8 inch deep in some spots due to back and side neighbour having paved yards that are roughly a foot higher. Wondering if i fill in the low spots will it help disperse the water better over entire lawn or should i raise grade to equal theirs?

Another option could be creating some perimeter barriers in the way of flower beds?

Bylaws state that you can raise lawn to match surrounding neighbours

any ideas would be helpful
thank you

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    I sympathize but can't help you any. Laying land drains would be an answer but very costly. How about a wildlife pond?
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 15,515
    Where do you live?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 15,515
    Is the wife a fixture, like a bird table?
  • mvmmvm Posts: 3
    Live in Ontario, Canada. So seems like not many options? Wondering if raised beds would stop the water from coming in. I worry about a pressure build up as water always seems to win
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 5,884
    edited June 2018
    The simplest thing would be to raise your ground level to match the surrounding. If you don't want to do that your best bet may be a drained cavity type approach so build a foot high retaining 'wall' (row of concrete blocks, probably) at the fence line where the ground level behind is higher, and then build a second wall (or a raised bed) just inside it. Then run a drain (perforated pipe) in the gap between them to pick up the water that comes through and take it away. That only works if you have somewhere you can send the water you collect.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • mvmmvm Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info!