Forum home Problem solving

Harts tongue ferns

So I’m wondering if any of you have faced a similar problem. I recently planted some harts tongue ferna that were flourishing and doing extremely well. I noticed however over the past few days that more than one of them has started wilting, the leaves look limp and the plants look at though are dying. I have checked the soil which is damp and not overly soggy... could this just be some form of disease. Any help appreciated!!

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,011
    How much shade do they get? Too much light can be bad for them and sunlight at this time of year is especially bad.
    A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,965
    Hello Crohald

I have many established 'Harts Tongues' in my garden , they just keep appearing !
    Some are in deep shade whilst others are in full-sun all day . Never seems to bother them !
    Were your plants bought from a garden-centre by any chance ? Were they nurtured in a polytunnel or greenhouse prior to your purchase ? Were the roots teased apart to stimulate new growth ?
    Often plants suddenly exposed to the great outdoors need time to acclimatise ; cold or hot drying winds can dessicate non-established plants .
    I am presuming here , so now you'll probably answer saying they're growing in damp shade !!!!
    Either way , if the fronds curl up and die , the roots will survive for another year .
  • CrohaldCrohald Posts: 8
    Thanks for all the feedback! I planted them out with a newly landscaped garden in February... they survived the snow and cold and up until 2 days ago were thriving and were growing brilliantly. All of a Sudden the leaves went limp and soft... and it now seems to be happening to another...

perhaps root rot? Too wet?

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,965
    I assumed you'd bought them recently ; if they were thriving until 2-days ago I really don't know what the problem could be . It still (to me) sounds like drying winds .