Hornbeam hedges

it May be best to cut these with secateurs as recommended but as mine I ten foot high and thirty yards long is it possible to risk the electric hedge trimmers. I only have one life!

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,171
    Hello Andrew,

I am responding to bump your post up the list in the hope that someone with more expertise than me will see it and can advise you!

I think that pruning with secateurs is recommended because hedges like hornbeam have large leaves and can look scruffy with lots of leaves chopped in half, that then brown, but that doesn’t mean you can’t do it, but perhaps the height of a hot summer is not the best time to get the hedge trimmer out, autumn, maybe?
  • Thanks Nollie, unfortunately I have had to cut the hedge back as it was getting a little too exciting. I’ve done it and it looks ok despite the dry weather. Not as dry as where you are but still.. if it’s dead I will let you know. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 24,397
    Just saw your thread Andrew. I had a lovely hornbeam hedge in a previous garden - always done with hedgetrimmers or shears. No issues. My Dad's beech hedging [which was monstrous ] was always done with hedge trimmers too. 
    Sadly, the new owners have taken it all out and replaced it with lleylandii.... :/ :#
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Well when they’re 80ft high they’ll regret it