Lavender cuttings

GW recently circulated a guide to taking lavender cuttings but it doesn't make sense. The text says to keep the flap where the cutting is torn off as this is where the roots grow from. The illustration clearly shows the lower part of the cutting being removed with a sharp knife. Which do you do?

• tessagardenbarmytessagardenbarmy York,North YorkshirePosts: 330
    I take cuttings when I clip my lavenders back later in year. Just pick up cuttings pull bottom leaves off stick them round edge of circular pot filled with grit and Ji 2 or 3. Not everything takes but enough do.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,689
    Take a  little stem from the main plant and pull it down. It'll come off with a bit of the stalk from which you removed it - called a heel. This is where the roots will come from.
    If you do as tess says above and cut just below a leaf joint - that's where the roots will come from.
    You can do it either way. I use the same method as tess - about 50%-70% seem to root ok. It can take a while for the roots to start, so just leave to pot somewhere sheltered.
    I took cuttings late summer last year left them in a pot over winter and potted up 4 successful cuttings in the spring
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.