Forum home Wildlife gardening

Rat or hedgehog poo

Hi, I've found two lots of poo in our garden. Not sure if it's rat or hedgehog. We did have a rat earlier this year so don't want to put cat food out as that would encourage rats there are still around. Today I found this poo, on our patio and under a tree near some bushes. Can anyone tell me what it is? The first is the lot under the tree and the second on the patio. Thank you

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,616
    How big is it? It looks more like fox.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • The top pic is about 2.5cm and the bottom is about 3 cm. Theres no way a fox can get into our garden, we have a side gate that is to the ground and our house is a semi so no access from the street. I don't think the gaps in the fence are big enough to let a fox through. I just remembered I saw a rat under the tree about a week ago, I have bird feeders there. But it wasn't very big so was uncertain it would produce something this big. 
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,616
    Can hedgehogs get in? I would say hedgehog for the size. I think rat poo is more pointed.  Foxes can get in all sorts of places. My friend has a six foot fence around her garden,but  her son, regularly saw a fox  as it was getting light in the summer.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,057
    Something to get a sense of scale would be helpful.
  • I'll see if I can get another pic in the morning. The second lot I disturbed, I wanted to see what was inside it. It was drying with bits in it. Not sure what the bits were though. I haven't been out in the garden for a few days so only saw it tonight. 
  • Can hedgehogs get in? I would say hedgehog for the size. I think rat poo is more pointed.  Foxes can get in all sorts of places. My friend has a six foot fence around her garden,but  her son, regularly saw a fox  as it was getting light in the summer.
    I think hedgehogs could but weve lived here 9 years and never seen one. There are holes under the fences, small ones. Our neighbour on one side has a tortoise and it can't get through so they're not huge. The back fence has a gap between the bottom and a cement part, which a hedgehog could climb over I suppose. We have a stack of pallets on one side of the garden, about three, and we have to clear them, but if there are hedgehogs, then I'll leave them. Rats on the other hand...
  • Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 1,047
    The bottom one (no pun intended  :) ) looks like hedgehog 
  • The bottom one (no pun intended  :) ) looks like hedgehog 
    I really hope it is! 
  • Looks like hedgehog to me, they will climb walls etc.., as well as go under barriers. Rat droppings are like large shiny black grains of rice. Hedgehogs eat a variety of succulent crunchy insects, worms etc so wings and body casing can often be seen in their poo.

I have the same type of droppings as you on my patio and on steps near the house but have never seen or heard a hedgehog since moving in 18 years ago. Rats are always around the garden due to being very rural, neighbours chickens etc. Fox poo is more like dog poo but darker and often contains bits of bone etc.

• This is the piece from under the tree, 5p coin for size.