Forum home Problem solving

Overlooked by neighbours

Bagpuss57Bagpuss57 South West Posts: 256
I have a fairly large patio but it is overlooked by the neighbouring house to one side. I need something tall that would happily grow in a pot or raised bed that could be used to help screen the upstairs windows from my neighbour. Any ideas? I can send a photo of it helps? 

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    A photo would be helpful Claire as would knowledge of sun/shade/sheltered/windy conditions.
    SW Scotland
  • Bagpuss57Bagpuss57 South West Posts: 256
    It's difficult to really tell from the photo as it's not a great day out there today. But it's a south facing garden that can get a bit windy at times. It's sheltered on the fence side which is in the photo and gets sun early morning until at least 3pm in the summer. Earlier shade in the winter/spring from around lunchtime due to the fence. I would need to move the greenhouse and coldframe but that's easily done. I was considering a tall raised bed but need something tall in it to screen the windows. The fence is already 6ft6" I have a seating area the opposite side of the fence and feel I want something to make it feel a bit more private. Any ideas what I could do??
  • KT53KT53 South WestPosts: 6,850
    You need something to create a screen over 12 feet high.  Some bamboo will grow to that height and might survive in large planters or a raised bed.  Cost would be considerable though.
    That's a shame. It doesn't have to be that height instantly as long as it'll grow fairly tall in a few years. 
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    Can't beat Bamboo. They won't get out of control in a container. Can buy them quite tall. Easy to thin out and if you strip the lower leaves you could put in some bedding plants. Might get a bit shredded in the wind in winter but you could move it to a more sheltered spot if you have one as you wont be using the patio. Makes a nice noise in the wind so will mask your conversations.
    I'm a bit wary of bamboo as I have heard horror stories of roots bursting up everywhere and I have no knowledge of what to buy. What bamboo would be best in a pot and what sort of size pot would it need?. Are there any other options other than just bamboo or is that my best bet for tall screening?? 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    What about other trees in pots?. Can I grow something like a silver birch in a pot that grows quite tall. I know i have to water and feed it more but would the roots still burst through a pot? Otherwise I will need to think more outside the box for ideas. 
    If you go for bamboo a fargesia variety is clump forming so no worries about it escaping. I paid £30 for a 5ft plant and it will grow to around 3 or 4 metres. A raised bed would be best especially if you can take up the flags underneath and dig up whatever is under them, ideally you need around 900cm of good soil.
    Photonias grow fast and are evergreen but you would need to clip them to keep them neat.
    Those silver birches look amazing but at what cost? The tubs alone must cost a fortune!
    edited June 2018
    Just had another thought what about putting up a fabric sail across the patio?