Forum home Problem solving

Nematodes...

MrsFoxgloveMrsFoxglove SurreyPosts: 180
Morning all :)  who uses Nematodes here and do they really work? If so where's the best/cheapest place to order some? 

Thanks kindly and have a great weekend  :)

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,453
    I've used Vine weevil nematodes and slug nematodes. Both seemed to work well as long as you apply at the temperature given and use a coarse holed rose on the watering can 
    keeping the ground moist after applying is important and repeat at the advised interval. 
    We ordered ours online ... probably via Amazon but can't remember ... it was a few years ago and we've not had to repeat it yet but if we need to we will. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I moved into my home last year and inherited a red robin hedge which had been in 2 years. It was completely covered in the circular holes on the edges of the leaves from vine weevils. So I ordered the nematodes from nematodes direct and followed the instructions which were very easy and clear, if I remember it needs to be kept in a fridge and is best delivered when you can do this. I also ordered the block thing which you put under a hedge and is attractive to the adult beetle and has something which kills them. This year I have no sign of any damage and my hedge looks wonderful. I would repeat if I needed to.
  • Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 948
    Hello Mrs Foxglove,

I've been using nematodes for 4 years now and they really work. Far less damage than before.

I was a sceptical at first .... thought it would be a bit of a gimmick ... but I'm really pleased with the result.

They are not cheap, but if they save a few plants then I figure they've paid for themselves.

I buy from a company called Gardening Naturally ... no charge for posting

I also get to spend more time actually gardening rather than just rounding the blighters up for hours on end!!

Worth trying.

Bee x

Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   
  • MrsFoxgloveMrsFoxglove SurreyPosts: 180
    Thank you all for that, I will get some for both slugs and vine weevils. Is there a particular time of year to do the treatment or can I get cracking now? I'm so fed up of slugs  :s:s

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,593
    Slugs at anytime, Vine Weevil Spring and Autumn, if you look on the net it will tell when to apply, I think it’s September. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 948
    I start slugs in mid-April  .... too cold here in March and I'd be just wasting money.
    I repeat every 6-8 weeks until mid-October. 
    Has really made a difference. I used to collect hundreds after a shower of rain here. 
    I still go out occasionally ... but only get half a dozen ... usually on the lawn which I don't treat.

Not used the vine weevils nematode ... I check pots in early spring and drown the plants for 48 hours ... any little grubs are usually done for by then.

Good luck.
    Bee x
    Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   
  • MrsFoxgloveMrsFoxglove SurreyPosts: 180
    Thanks muchly x