Any idea what tree this is?

russ.hunter9russ.hunter9 Posts: 9
Hi all. I just moved into a new house and am starting to get into gardening for the first time! Any ideas what this tree is?

• russ.hunter9russ.hunter9 Posts: 9
    edited 14 June
    And this one? Grateful for any help! :smile:
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 1,780
    Are you able to get another photo of picture one more closer so the leaves are more visible? Also, picture two, I can't work out the scale. What is the size of the average leaf and height of plant? I'm thinking Cotinus Coggygria, Smoke Bush, but think the leaves are not the right size. 
    Hi Borderline. Many thanks! Will take some more tomorrow once the wind has (hopefully) gone away! :smiley:
    Just realised I took these two earlier, Borderline. 

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 1,780
    Thanks for posting a few more photos. The second photo now does not look like the Smoke Bush. Still not totally sure on that one. I was thinking Lornicera Japonica, but now it looks like a possible willow, but not sure. Hopefully someone with more experience may offer more information.

The first photo has been pruned back hard, so a bit difficult to work out the plant. Do you know if it is evergreen? It could be an Azalea, but that is a wild guess. Again, I'm sure there will be more opinions on that one.
    Thanks Borderline. The second one I am in two minds above removing as it looks a bit unimpressive and is rather straggly in terms of its structure. Although I don't want to do that until I know quite what it is (in case it is something that might be an autumnal/winter feature).  

The first one isn't evergreen. We moved in last  July and over winter it had no leaves at all.
  • herbaceousherbaceous Posts: 435
    Just a wild guess but could the first one be a bonsai cotoneaster?
  • Chrissy the gardenerChrissy the gardener Posts: 865
    I was thinking a bonsai cotoneaster as well, the graft union looks a bit unstable so you might loose it anyway.
    The second one I think is a privet so will take drastic pruning.
    Thanks all! Very much appreciated!