New greenhouse. Practical advice and shopping list needed.

• MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,950
    cagzo - yes, I'm looking forward to getting started, maybe a teasmaid will do the trick! I hadn't thought about cats - we do have a couple visit from the neighbours and I don't want them warming their buts on my seedlings!
    ianc63 - can you get automatic openers fitted after it's put up or does it just come as part of the window? Electrics being done by electrician, he's recommended metal sockets so I dont bash them with a spade!
    purpleallium - I have gone for a fully paved floor. It faces SW, it's in the only space available. It will get more light than I first thought, not in the morning but quite a lot of afternoon sun. Good info about mould, I will need to keep an eye on that (is that what jeyes fluid id for?).
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,175
    Afternoon sun is good as it has the heat to ripen fruit/veg. You should be able to get away with a good scrub one a year and or a jet wash but it does mean emptying it to jet wash. Membrane under the slabs will help stop weeds coming up between slabs and don't forget drainage for when watering plants.
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,287
    I would recommend two double sockets - one at either end of the shed / greenhouse. That will give you 4 sockets dotted around the unit. I recommend installing just above bench top height so you're not scrabbling around under staging to plug things in.

If you use power tools in the garden you may also find it useful to have another double socket on the outside wall (I plug a shredder & power washer into mine fairly regularly). Outdoor, waterproof sockets are essential in all cases.

I also find a thermostatically controlled electric greenhouse heater (combined with bubble wrap insulation) to be an effective way to keep a greenhouse frost free.  

A tap by the shed is good for watering seedlings - and a shed is also where you are most likely to store a hosepipe / other irrigation stuff for the rest of the garden. Mine is in a box stuffed with insulation. There is a stopcock at ground level so the tap can be turned off over winter and the tap left open to help prevent frozen pipes, frost damage to seals etc.

Think about tool storage in the shed - I have lots of tools (spade, fork, rake, shears etc etc) hanging from hooks on the walls - a tidy way to store things. You may also want some shelves for all the other little bits and bobs. Never under estimate how much stuff you will try to store in your new shed  - and the more storage solutions you have the tidier it will be.

Definitely leave sufficient paved clearance outside on all sides of the shed / greenhouse to allow for future maintenance. I have a minimum of 18" around mine. At some stage you will need to paint / stain it / reroof it etc which may require a ladder and you need to be able to move around. The more difficult the shed is to access the less likely you are to maintain it properly.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 480
    Hello Mrs G,

Just to add to the points other have made ....

If you are having the greenhouse area paved, you might want to consider leaving a few of the flags out and have a wee gravelled area  .... great for watering pots on and letting them drain.

Try and work out where any anchors for the greenhouse base are going to end up as you might need you to drill through the flags ... and you don't want to have to do this near the edge as it will be more likely to crack.

Also, give some thought to how you will deal with the overflow from any guttering /  waterbutts .... easier to build in some drainage now than later.

Good luck with your project ... and keep us posted.

Bee x

Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   
  • Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 858
    Automatic openers can be retrofitted provided you have installed opening rooflights. They work on hydraulics so don't need electricity. I have two greenhouses one with a retrofitted opener, which I think came from Argos many years ago.
    Wow, thanks everyone, this is so helpful.
    Drainage! Yep not considered that, thanks. Gravel area good plan.
    Stopcock noted.
    Really want a tidy shed (doesnt come naturally to me!) so will need to carefully consider things, including where the door goes. Not sure I can be tidy with all forks soades etc and lawnmover, shredder, hedge trimmers etc (may trickle into OH's shed).
    I have a waterbut, just need to decide where it goes! We are also building a summerhouse just across the path so maybe more space there.
    Will get OH to check for 'rooflifts'. 

And here it is...
    Just a lock of paint, staging, Waterbury and can get stsrted.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,175
    Looks good. Happy growing.😁
  • PosyPosy Posts: 1,693
    Wow! Enjoy.
  • Valley GardenerValley Gardener Posts: 1,610
    That's really nice,I'd love one!
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.