New greenhouse. Practical advice and shopping list needed.

Hi all, OH is building me a greenhouse with shed attached. The greenhouse is a lean to 8'x4'. The shed 12'x4'.
Just need suggestions, especially before its built, about what's needed. 
Should I ask him to try and keep the shed walls minimal so its a big greenhouse in effect?
Lighting - any thing in particular? is bulkhead lighting enough? 
Heating - does anything need planning for? Or just a socket? What type of heater?
How many sockets?  
Water - a tap just outside? double tap? 
Paved/flagged area outside? - what should i plan here? i have room to play with.
Inside - staging, trays, design, what are your tips and advice, your successes and essentials?
Thanks all. 
(SO EXCITED!).

• MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,935

This is where it's going, the compost bin is by the arch on the right, the dumpit site to the left is mine to play with. 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Thanks, Freddies dad. The hard core is down so no more digging (not sure how deep he's dug down, wish I'd asked before its a good tip!).
    As for what I plan to grow, probably just flower seeds and overwintering tenders, to start, who knows where it will take me?
    Yes, I think I will be in there after work on a dark night - sowing, watering, pottering. 
    Good to know that an ordinary fan heater will be fine in there - is on the floor the best place?
    I really don't have a clue about greenhouses!
  • Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 818
    I have double sockets in mine as I use a fan heater and a heated propagator so I'd recommend that - and it's just as easy to put in a double one as a single. Make sure you get a fan heater that's specifically for greenhouses. I'd also suggest getting one with a separate thermostat as I found that the one with the integrated thermostat only heated up the space immediately around the heater before switching itself off.

A single tap should be fine and then you can fit it with a manifold if you need to split it. I have 4-way manifolds on mine and use them all!
    Thanks singing gardener, all points noted and will be passed on to OH.
  • PosyPosy Posts: 1,564
    Exciting! I agree about power and water, though I have a water butt fed by the drainpipe. You will need staging but it might be best to get a feel for the size before you buy. You need to be able to move around and shift pots and so on. I prefer metal staging - the wooden sort is more attractive but not so long lasting. Lighting needs to give you a clear view of your working space but you don't need anything fancy unless you have ambitions to grow plants out of season. I find daylight fine for half hardy perennials and seed sewing in Spring. One important thing is to have as much air-flow as possible, so opening vents are really valuable. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine!
    Thanks Posy, seems strange moving to 'indoor gardening'! I think the staging will be made from pallets or spare shed side pieces - the shed is 3 small sheds put together so there will be panels unused! Then the greenhouse will lean onto it. Don't worry OH knows what he's doing!

https://www.tigersheds.com/product/tiger-flex-pent-shed/

• Valley GardenerValley Gardener Posts: 1,464
    Oh how I envy you! This is my first house without a greenhouse,and no room for one!
    I agree with the others,a good heater is essential,I always kept mine at 5,with bubble wrap insulation fixed to the glass. For some reason it stood on staging not on the floor,but I can't remember why,probably to keep me warm too!! A radio and clock are good to have,you can listen to the afternoon play on radio 4,whilst pricking out,and not forget to get dinner!!!!(clock) I also put a piece of stiff wire in the open doorway to keep cats out.They sell a piece that fits in B+Q,and probably garden centres.
    You will love it.😁
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 1,791
    The floor of my greenhouse is a paved walkway with membrane either side.  This allows any tubs , troughs or pots to be put wherever you want as I over winter quiet a lot inside mine. Also I use tubs to plant toms/cucumbers/courgettes which is less backbreaking to use. You don't say which way it faces, having a fence behind it I noticed will cut down on light and less light means more chance of damp caused mould to build up.