Identify please

linzi64uklinzi64uk Posts: 59

Another surprise. What is this please, the pot was choking with the small daisy like flower (seen a little on the left) last year so I took them out ( or most anyway)  This seemed to have appeared the last few days. Pots are a little neglected as we have been concentrating on the very over grown garden. Thank you

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 47,976
    Delphinium  :)
    "...tea and toasted buttered currant buns, can't compensate for lack of sun because the summer's all gone..."   Autumn Almanac - Ray Davies
  • linzi64uklinzi64uk Posts: 59
    Thank you Dovefromabove. Would this have been suppressed by the daisy like flowers last year or a small gift from a passing bird 😊
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 47,976
    It would've been a much smaller plant in its first year, only putting up a flowering spike in it's second and subsequent years. 
    Cit the spike down when the flowers have faded ... this will enable the plant to build up for future years rather than using energy on producing seed. 
    It will die right down in the winter and reappear in the spring.  :)
    "...tea and toasted buttered currant buns, can't compensate for lack of sun because the summer's all gone..."   Autumn Almanac - Ray Davies
  • linzi64uklinzi64uk Posts: 59
    Sorry Dovefromabove I'm an extreme novice here. Would I cut the spike down to the crown (if that's the correct word) of the leaves or just below the flowering part. The one on the pic must be roughly 18 inches long, there are 3 spikes in total, so is that just the one plant or three individuals😊