Ants - rose buds

ChrisWMChrisWM West Berkshire Posts: 188
Hi all. This isn’t creating a problem with my buds, but ants swarm on unopened buds only on the James Galway. My guess is something to do with aphids?

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

• Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 192
    Hi @ChrisWM Your thread appears to have slipped through without a response. You have beautiful roses but buds look unsightly with the coverage of ants. Hopefully there is someone out there who can help you.  :)
  • ChrisWMChrisWM West Berkshire Posts: 188
    Fran IOM said:
    Hi @ChrisWM Your thread appears to have slipped through without a response. You have beautiful roses but buds look unsightly with the coverage of ants. Hopefully there is someone out there who can help you.  :)
    Bless you, Fran. It’s my first year of keeping roses, and the James Galway was my first one, so I’m keen to help it along. 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 4,447
    You can wash off the aphids and their honeydew - that is what the ants are into. Once the aphids have gone, the ants will go. After that, wiping off the aphids by hand usually works quite well, or spraying a little soft washing up detergent diluted in water.

Sometimes rose buds or peony buds etc get so sticky they can't open. So wash off all the stick and make sure the petals can open.
    Thanks @Fire
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 4,447
    Your roses look really happy and healthy. Good luck with them.
    Cheers!