What is killing my strawbrry plants

Alan45Alan45 Posts: 2
Hi so far this year 3 of my strawberry plants have wilted and died. When the remains have been dug up the roots containing a white stringy substance. (see photos). Any ideas anybody?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 20,922
    How and where are you growing them? Pots, ground? What is your soil like? The leaves look very dry and mildewed, but it could also be the opposite - they could be waterlogged and rotting. I can't make out the photo well enough to tell. They need moist, well drained soil to do well, usually.
    I'm surprised they already have fruit, but if you're growing them undercover, or they're an earlier variety, that's quite possible.
    Any extra info will help  :)

to walk through a forest is to touch the past

• Alan45Alan45 Posts: 2
    Thanks for your response, the strawberries are in the ground which is clay like. I live in Rutland and we have had no rain for nearly 3 weeks so I do not think they are waterlogged. The fruits are only slightly earlier than normal which I put down to the recent warm weather.
    Here are a couple more shots of the plants (apologies my photographic skills are not that great)
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 460
    I am in Lincolnshire and I have fruit that big too. My strawbs were overwintered in tubs in a greenhouse, but the weather has not suited them and I have lost a few plants. I went picking last weekend locally and the farms seem to be doing ok so not sure what has caused the losses.