When bluebells have flowered ...

yorkiethorntonyorkiethornton Yorkshire Posts: 24
Looking for advice on what to do with bluebell foliage after flowering has finished. Is it the same as daffs leaving it to die back; can they be trimmed to tidy up etc? Thanks.

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,324
    It's the same for all bulbs, they need the leaves tl provide the energy for next year's flowers. Bluebells not usually a problem in a border as other plants can hide the dying leaves. If they are in a more woodland setting, the leaves can be seen more, but just accept it as realistic wildness :)
  • yorkiethorntonyorkiethornton Yorkshire Posts: 24
    It's the same for all bulbs, they need the leaves tl provide the energy for next year's flowers. Bluebells not usually a problem in a border as other plants can hide the dying leaves. If they are in a more woodland setting, the leaves can be seen more, but just accept it as realistic wildness :)
    Thanks; thought that would be the case. Just need a few more plants to hide the wildness! Along with fading spring alliums the border looking a bit messy. Cheers.
  • Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,501
    Allow to die back but I have had a tip this year. Rather than split and plant in the green
    take a brown paper bag and collect the heads, when the seeds dry off just scatter. 
    I have been promised this works well. I am going to try it!
    Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • LauraRoslinLauraRoslin Posts: 286
    I've never had to do that as bluebells have never had a problem growing on my patch.  In fact, I've had so many this year I've had to pull some up!
    I wish I was a glow worm
    A glow worm's never glum
    Cos how can you be grumpy
    When the sun shines out your bum!
  • yorkiethorntonyorkiethornton Yorkshire Posts: 24
    Allow to die back but I have had a tip this year. Rather than split and plant in the green
    take a brown paper bag and collect the heads, when the seeds dry off just scatter. 
    I have been promised this works well. I am going to try it!
    Thanks will also give it a try 👍