Forum home Problem solving

When bluebells have flowered ...

Looking for advice on what to do with bluebell foliage after flowering has finished. Is it the same as daffs leaving it to die back; can they be trimmed to tidy up etc? Thanks.

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,540
    It's the same for all bulbs, they need the leaves tl provide the energy for next year's flowers. Bluebells not usually a problem in a border as other plants can hide the dying leaves. If they are in a more woodland setting, the leaves can be seen more, but just accept it as realistic wildness :)
  • It's the same for all bulbs, they need the leaves tl provide the energy for next year's flowers. Bluebells not usually a problem in a border as other plants can hide the dying leaves. If they are in a more woodland setting, the leaves can be seen more, but just accept it as realistic wildness :)
    Thanks; thought that would be the case. Just need a few more plants to hide the wildness! Along with fading spring alliums the border looking a bit messy. Cheers.
  • Lily PillyLily Pilly Posts: 3,845
    Allow to die back but I have had a tip this year. Rather than split and plant in the green
    take a brown paper bag and collect the heads, when the seeds dry off just scatter. 
    I have been promised this works well. I am going to try it!
    Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • LauraRoslinLauraRoslin Posts: 496
    I've never had to do that as bluebells have never had a problem growing on my patch.  In fact, I've had so many this year I've had to pull some up!
    I wish I was a glow worm
    A glow worm's never glum
    Cos how can you be grumpy
    When the sun shines out your bum!
  • Allow to die back but I have had a tip this year. Rather than split and plant in the green
    take a brown paper bag and collect the heads, when the seeds dry off just scatter. 
    I have been promised this works well. I am going to try it!
    Thanks will also give it a try 👍