Forum home The potting shed

Peat free compost

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,596
    @wild edges have you used it for seeds, I find they germinate best in a peat based compost?.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,322
    I saw it at a small local GC for the first time fairly recently, but didn't get any as I hadn't gone prepared for getting compost home. Next time!
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,553
    Fairygirl said:
    I've never seen Melcourt compost  in our GCs - but you can get it online at various places. Need the room for a truck to offload it though. I'd like to try it and see if it's worth having.
    Want me to chuck some in an envelope for you? o:)

I've got some at the moment which is Melcourt peat free with added John Innes. Which is like saying peat free with added peat  :/  Not sure how that works really but I was going to add some in anyway for a job so it saved me buying two bags.
    Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,835
    'an envelope'
    Not sure I'd get many plants done... :D 

Very kind of you anyway @wild edges :)
    I might take a look today as I need to go out, but I reckon it's just the 'weil kent' faces that are normally stocked. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• AndyDeanAndyDean Posts: 157
    stewyfizz said:
    I've been using Miracle Gro peat free. So far so good. Grown everything in it this year, bedding, toms, cucumbers, veg in the veg trug etc. Been quite impressed. Not as 'woody' as others i have been. B&Q's own (Verve) is pretty awful so i would avoid.
    I'd second both these points!
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,553
    Lyn said:
    @wild edges have you used it for seeds, I find they germinate best in a peat based compost?.
    I haven't bothered with growing seeds in pots for a couple of years. I think they do a special seed compost but it's been a while since we've used it. I seem to remember it was tricky to water and needed sieving but don't hold me to that.
    Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,596
    B n Q Verve was voted Best Buy in a previous Which Report! 
    I tried one and chucked it straight onto the flower bed. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,322
    Verve compost, or Verve peat-free compost? I was given a bag of the peaty one by accident, and it was good (apart from the peat aspect, obvs). But the peat-free was AWFUL. No one trying out peat-free composts would be encouraged by it. Every single other one I've ever used was better.

Having said all that, even though I would steer clear based on that experience, this was a couple of years ago and peat-free compost composition is being changed all the time, so it could be better now. Not sure I'd risk it when there are so many better ones out there though.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • I haven't done any seed sowing for a few weeks now, lack of sunshine and energy being the reason. However my local Blue Diamond GC does sell the Melcourt RHS peat free bags 50L 3 for £16 so I will certainly give it a try in my seed trays next Spring. They will be selling it at all their GC , some are ex Wyevale shops around Britain.
  • Take a look at Dalefoot composts, in my view they offer the best everyday peat free alternative. I've just bought their bulb compost which you can see here, I won't know the results on this one though until Spring : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp6kwZo29-4&t=61s 

I'll keep you posted !