Forum home The potting shed

Peat free compost

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,322
    edited June 2018
    I've used the MiracleGro peat free this year too and found it good. Not for seeds though - it's enriched. For seeds I used sieved New Horizon and had no problems.
    Agree about the B&Q Verve peat free though - absolutely awful!
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • jeanbeejeanbee Posts: 6
    Thanks for posting.I currently have the miracle gro, so fingers crossed.
  • Has anyone tried a peat free compost called Melcourt RHS Grow peat Free compost?  I have been recommended to it, but would like to know your opinions before I purchase it from the GC
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,596
    They haven’t got that in our GC Guernsey Donkey. Never heard of it. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Neither had I, so I will have to investigate further, I am sure the price will be excessive though.
  • Detective @Lyn thank you for finding this - I googled the name last evening but found nothing on it.  £18.99 for a 50L bag - fine if you just have a small garden but for me the price just isn't viable and yet in time the demand will hopefully bring the price down to a more realistic cost.

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,553
    I use Melcourt Sylvagrow MPC and it's been really good for the stuff I grow. It's three 50L bags for about £18 at the garden centre down the road, sometimes cheaper.
    Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
  • That's a more affordable price @wild edges and thanks for your thumbs up to the product too.  We will take a look at our Blue Diamond GC next time we are visiting.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,835
    I've never seen Melcourt compost  in our GCs - but you can get it online at various places. Need the room for a truck to offload it though. I'd like to try it and see if it's worth having.

I might take a closer look next time at a GC - although that might be a while. It'll be 'tat central' in those just now  :#
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....