Peat free compost

i have decided to finally move over to peat free compost, in the past I havent found anything good but am now trying a few different makes, in the hope things have improved. Has anyone found a good one?

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 1,672
    edited 13 June
    I've been happy with New Horizon.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 17,740
    I've not found a consistently good one either, nor one at a sensible price.
    Devon.
  • jeanberryjeanberry Posts: 6
    This was one I didnt think much of in the past but it may have improved so will give it a go. Thanks
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 1,465
    For potting, I've always used coir bricks. The organic gardening catalogue sells nutrient granules to use with them, and I also add some seaweed meal to help with water retention.  The organic catalogue also sells peat which is recovered from reservoirs so doesn't damage peat bogs.
  • jeanberryjeanberry Posts: 6
    Thats useful - I will check it out, thanks
  • stewyfizzstewyfizz West BromwichPosts: 116
    I've been using Miracle Gro peat free. So far so good. Grown everything in it this year, bedding, toms, cucumbers, veg in the veg trug etc. Been quite impressed. Not as 'woody' as others i have been. B&Q's own (Verve) is pretty awful so i would avoid.
    Gardening. The cause of, and solution to, all of my problems.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 10,277
    Has anyone grown seeds in it. Most of the seeds I grow need that bit of peat to help germination.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
    I live in fear and desperation,
    should I die before I die to live again.
    I used it for some sowings and it was fine. However i seived it to remove any bark bits and added some vermiculite. Added the bark bits to my leaf mould for mulching. Winner winner!
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 10,277
    What sowings didn’t do well in it? I grow everything here from seed and can’t afford to lose any, not being awkward just wondering. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
    I live in fear and desperation,
    should I die before I die to live again.
    I used it for larger seeds such as Hollyhocks and Cosmos. It was fine. Also sown rows of carrots, lettuce and beetroot in the veg trug 2 weeks ago and they look like this: