You are visiting an open garden and you see a weedling

B3B3 Posts: 6,715
What do you do?

You are visiting an open garden and you see a weedling 42 votes

Pull it out
23%
hogweedThankthecatfidgetbonespansyfaceplant pauperAnna33SuesynTheRicksterDeeLynnK67 10 votes
Leave it
76%
MuddyForkBee witchedLynAnniDDovefromabovenutcutletMagpie-MaidenPerkiSinging GardenerPapi JoB3YviestevieBlue OnionDaisy33LG_John36NanniemoFlyfiferstewyfizzRP32 32 votes
Other
0%
In London. Keen but lazy.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 12,258
    Pull it out
    Unashamedly, I pull it out.

I should get paid piece work by the local garden centres.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • B3B3 Posts: 6,715
    Leave it
    I twitch but leave it 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 2,588
    edited 12 June
    Leave it
    with some difficulty, I'd leave it. Unless I was distracted, talking to someone. I pull up some weeds - bittercress, for example - without really knowing I'm doing it. Then find myself with a handful of seedy weeds I don't know what to do with. Our washing machine filter is regularly full of weed seeds from the weeds stuffed into my pockets [whistling emoji]
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time
    Sir Terry Pratchett
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,238
    Pull it out
    Definitely whip it out! I even do it when I'm dog walking if I can reach. 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 4,447
    My friend pulled out a weed at an open garden last weekend and I was a bit shocked. 'maybe they wanted it' I thought, after all our discussion here on the forum about the virtues of dandelions and common geums.  Some friends love herb robert (I can't stand it, the plant or the smell). So I am careful these days. I think I deadhead without even knowing what my hands are doing, but some people take it as a criticism. It's not at all, I do it at bus stops and in pubs. It's just an automatic reflex.

Now when I see weeds in open gardens I just silently celebrate. I saw lots of bindweed last weekend and I thought - "ooo their garden is a bit like mine. The owner is mortal." But then again, maybe their gardener just missed a bit. 

The friend went about stamping on snails in the open garden. The owner is a born-again, vegan, Christian, and I concluded it was time for us to make a quick exit.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,073
    Leave it
    leave it. weed is a personal decision.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Todmorden, West YorksPosts: 4,376
    Definitely leave it. 
    Yesterday our gardening group went round a local 7 acre open garden, where the elderly owner now needs 2 sticks to walk - and has a gardener for 3 half days a week.  He's accepted he can't do a lot of weeding, and has crammed his garden so there's no room for "nasty" weeds - and accepts many others into his borders, eg the buttercups contrasting beautifully with the candelabra primulas in this photo.
    "Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change"    Stephen Hawking
  • BerghillBerghill Posts: 2,965
    Feel happy that other people have the same problem as we do.
  • stewyfizzstewyfizz West BromwichPosts: 116
    Leave it
    Leave it. I have enough weeding my own garden let alone anyone elses!
    Gardening. The cause of, and solution to, all of my problems.
  • LauraRoslinLauraRoslin Posts: 286
    Leave it
    I feel it's a bit rude to pull weeds out of someone else's garden.  I'd be a bit insulted if someone did it in mine.
    I wish I was a glow worm
    A glow worm's never glum
    Cos how can you be grumpy
    When the sun shines out your bum!