Hi. can someone please tell me what the deep pink plant is please.

Rose ladyRose lady Posts: 100
I love these plants, and see them everywhere. i think they would be a great addition to my cottage garden. Thank you  :) :)

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 47,077
    edited 12 June
    Centranthus ruber ... also available in paler pink and white

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/93739/Centranthus-ruber/Details

Perennial grows easily from seed and then self sows delightfully around the place ... Cornwall is full of it.  :)
    If you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. You won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.” 
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 5,799
    I agree, lovely plant.
    Ah, but I was so much older then
    I'm younger than that now
  • Rose ladyRose lady Posts: 100
    Thank you so much 😊 x
    off to the garden centre!!

• DarleydameDarleydame Posts: 15
    No don't! Impossible to get rid off once you have it. Seeds  into the smallest gap in paving and walls the roots are fleshy and not easy to dig out. 

• Rose ladyRose lady Posts: 100
    Hi. I was sent a link to the rhs website which suggested planting in containers or cutting the flowers right down to prevent excessive seeding. 
    Your choice but do you have the time to keep a close enough eye on the plant to stop it before it seeds? They are lovely  and I bought a white one which did seed around and looked great. Few years later it wasn't so great and I spent a lot of time getting rid of them. They certainly suit a wild area in a larger garden though.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 5,799
    It does self seed, but is still a lovely plant, and you can always remove what you don't want.
    Self seeding, should in most cases be regarded as a bonus, not a drawback. 
    Ah, but I was so much older then
    I'm younger than that now
    edited 12 June
    punkdoc said:
    It does self seed, but is still a lovely plant, and you can always remove what you don't want.
    Self seeding, should in most cases be regarded as a bonus, not a drawback. 
    Absolutely agree @punkdoc  ... and for heaven's sake, the seedlings are so easily recognised and you have a whole season to see them and pull them/hoe them out before they grow to any size.  We really can't have our gardens filled with nothing but sterile non-seeding non-native plants can we?  :'(
    If you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. You won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.” 
    Yes you can if you are fit and able bodied. If you have to garden in fits and starts due to health low maintenance plants are my preferred option along with the odd self seeder thats not as rampant as this plant.
    Understood ... and as a gardener who was incapacitated for most of last summer following an accident I get what you're saying.  But it would be a shame to put all gardeners off a lot of lovely and very useful plants (especially those that are beneficial to our pollinators) by implying that they are horrors, when all they need is a bit more 'gardening' than some others.  
     :)