Forum home Garden design

What should I plant here?

13»

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,544
    I agree with Joyce.   Thyme will look good, won't mind being trod on and will give you flowers too in spring/early summer so good for insects.

They like a sunny dry position so I would just buy a big 70litre bag of multi purpose compost and a similar bag of fine grit and mix all that into the soil then plant a selection of thymes - lemon, orange, variegated....    Water each pot before and after planting then cover the bare soil around them with pea gravel or larger to keep down weeds and stop splashing in rain.   They'll spread so plant one every 9 to 12 inches.

Lavender could also be planted with added grit for drainage but you'd need to find time to cut it back properly every year to stop them getting leggy and woody - either once the flowers finish or early spring depending on how cold your winters are.   Hidcote or Munstead Dwarf would be good varieties.   Any bigger and you'll be brushing up against wet stems getting in and out of the car.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw