Forum home Garden design

What should I plant here?

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,630
    Yes to the above as my beds have that mix already but be careful of thorns and car doors.😁
  • tony 398tony 398 Posts: 7
    Ah. So maybe not roses, then!
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,025
    I would not plant Roses there, you will constantly be getting caught up by the thorns, or damaging with the cars.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053
    You could use ground cover roses alone - the County series is what to look for. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,294
    Ah, hello, punkdoc, hope you are well.  Me, it looks pretty sunny I would got for lavender, and grasses, minimal looking after.Maybe plant thru weed membrane, cover with shingle  If you think this is bad, you should see MY neighbours, and of course we "reap" the befefits of the b*****y weeds, all seeding over to our side!!!
  • tony 398tony 398 Posts: 7
    OK. So this is what it looks like now after I removed as many of the weeds as I could. I now find that the soil is filled with zillions of little bulbs, some clusters like bunches of grapes. Just wondering how this is going to affect what I plant? 

Right now, I'm thinking of a miniature maple up at the garage end, then maybe several hedge-type shrubs down to the road.

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    100 percent improvement already. Hard to tell what size the bulbs didn't any flowers cone up earlier in the year before the weeds?
    Even mini trees get bigger than you think, they might not grow up but they do grow out and it will end up getting damaged and there really isn't enough space for a tree to keep healthy.same with shrubs they can get pretty wide so chose some that don't mind being clipped. 
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    I can't remember all previous suggestions but I would fill the space with varieties of thyme.
    SW Scotland
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.