Forum home Garden design

What should I plant here?

As a newbie gardener, I'm seeking a little bit of advice from anyone who has time to share their expertise.

This is the space by the side of our front drive. As you can see, it is completely overgrown and a bit of a mess. I'm planning to clear the weeds and put down some top soil. But what should I plant here?

I think the space is reasonably safe from being driven over and we have clay soil here. Something attractive, but which doesn't need that much looking after would be ideal. Perhaps not any higher than then weeds growing right now?

Thank you.

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,683
    Spring bulbs for early colour, poppies will self seed so need no looking after, roses but will need to be kept in shape, or a slow growing tree/bush and there are lots of choices on petite root stocks like conifers or a twisted hazel. So much choice enjoy the journey.
  • BobFlannigonBobFlannigon Posts: 619
    I'd recommend a box hedge.  Not very exciting, though neat, but it's a small space and they're very low maintenance!
  • tony 398tony 398 Posts: 7
    Yes, the choice is the problem!
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,683
    Best to start with what overall look you want. Cottage, modern or wild. That will give a starting point to look up what plants are associated with that look.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,015
    I suggest you first remove all those seed heads from the dandelions before they sow themselves everywhere. Then you'll need to dig deep to get the roots out, but wait until we've had a worthwhile drop of rain, because clay soil will be very hard just now.  In the meantime, if you keep cutting the weeds down as they grow, you'll weaken them.
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,870
    Tall lavender?  You want something soft, so it won't scratch the car door if someone opens a bit too wide.  The lavender would smell lovely when you brush against it getting in and out.  You'll have to do a bit of work on the soil.. but it looks sunny and dry there already.  
    Utah, USA.
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 788
    Lavender sounds lovely. How about adding a rosemary and some thyme. Just make sure you add grit to your soil to make the drainage better.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • tony 398tony 398 Posts: 7
    Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I'll have a think. Sounds like a hedge would be the most straightforward option. But is it possible to plant roses and spring bulbs/poppies in the same space, I wonder? (We already have some lavender planted nearby).

Luckily, I have permission from next door to do something with the space!