Oriental poppies!

Something is attacking the poppies in my garden. a black line appears on stem then about an inch below flower head stem is cut straight across with both open ends showing black gooey stuff??? flower then drops and dies !!

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 5,882
    Over the last few years there has been a problem with Oriental Poppies succumbing to a disease, with symptoms just like yours.
    I lost some Papaver Orientalis Beauty of Livermore 3 years ago.
    I don't think there is any treatment.
    Is there a powder to erase this? Is it dissolvable and tasteless? You can't imagine how I hate this 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 17,739
    I think one of the National Collections was totally wiped out.
    Devon.
  • elaine.charterelaine.charter Posts: 2
    thankyou for replying ,Bit upset now as I don't want to loose these beautiful flowers!
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 1,261
    punkdoc said:
    Over the last few years there has been a problem with Oriental Poppies succumbing to a disease, with symptoms just like yours.
    I lost some Papaver Orientalis Beauty of Livermore 3 years ago.
    I don't think there is any treatment.
    Was that Fungus Blight? I'm lucky have not seen it yet on my oriental poppy 'Princess Victoria Louise'.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,501
    Blimey. Didn’t know about this, any preventative measures, I have 7 different varieties!
    Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 1,261
    Have had a few nice oriental poppies this season. However, this late-comer has apparently been struck with the infamous Fungus Blight. >:)

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).