Forum home Plants

Where are my dahlias?

josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
edited June 2018 in Plants
In April I planted 24 dahlia tubers, 3 each of 8 varieties.  So far, only four have emerged.  I'm guessing this is because it's been dry so long.  Will the tubers be OK, and start growing when we get some rain? Or should I be keeping them watered?  The first two are growing fast and looking healthy, the more recent are too small to tell.  I also planted asparagus at the same time, and have only one spear, about eight inches tall and very thin. Same question, water them or just wait for rain?

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,037
    I always plant my dahlias in pots first in the g/h  but I do water them. Even before they break the soil so I'm guessing you need to water yours. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • B3B3 Posts: 21,516
    I once planted dahlias straight into the ground.nothing happened.square Eventually, I dug them up to see what was going on.
    Each tuber had at least one bright green circle. It was what was left after the slugs had eaten the shoots!
    I always start mine off and often leave them in pots.
    If you want to put them in the ground and are prepared to be vigilant, you can put a jam jar or similar over each shoot to protect it.
    Once the dahlias get bigger, the slugs seem to lose interest.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,872
    I do the same. I went to plant a strong pot grown plant, only to find last years tuber there. It hadn't rotted off, but every shoot had been chewed back down to floor level.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    I've a few more now, and a single scrawny asparagus spear.  I've covered them with plastic bottles and given them a drink.