Forum home Problem solving

Weed in field identification

Anyone know what the tall weed is? It is spreading in our damp field

• SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,507
    I think it might be meadowsweet, but a close up would be good. if so it will come out with clusters of creamy white flowers in a couple of weeks
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,514
    That looks like ground elder to me.  And it’s about to flower, spreads like mad.! 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• AsarumAsarum East AngliaPosts: 582
    Filipendula ulmaria or Meadow sweet, lovely plant.
    East Anglia
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,229
    edited June 2018
    I think it's Meadowsweet .... leaves don't look right for ground elder to me ... I love Meadowsweet ... as its name suggests the flowers are beautifully scented and look a bit like an astilbe ... they were used to flavour mead and were venerated by the Druids ... it has lots of uses in the kitchen and was used to strew on the floor in Tudor times to counteract foul smells ... gorgeous plant, and as you say ... happiest in damp meadows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filipendula_ulmaria 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Sam76Sam76 Posts: 114
    Yes i think you are right about meadowsweet. Many thanks!
    Shame on me! I purposely bought seeds to grow it in the garden😀

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,229
     Well done Lyn!   ;)  and has it grown?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

It’s fantastic Dove,  I’ve only kept 2 big plants down by the pond in the wild area. 
    It’s always been  a plant that I’ve liked from a child, whenever I saw it, in fact still do have to stop and pick the first flowers, just to sniff it.

• SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,507
    You can make a nice cordial (similar to elderflower) from the flowers, but it should be drunk in moderation as it will contain salicylic acid  (Asprin)
    edited June 2018
    I wouldn’t pick the flowers, I need to go down there and smell them😀
    I suppose if you had a field full of them, but I only wanted two plants, plus the self seeders.
    My daughter bought me some bath products once, gorgeous.