Forum home Problem solving

Mouldy nettle fertiliser

Hi all,

I decided to make nettle fertiliser for the first time this year, and set about 2kg nettles inside a closed pillowcase, fully submerged in 50 litres water. I decided a 100 litre water butt would be the most sensible option due to the tap on the bottom and being able to pull the bag out when 'cooked'. Unfortunately 2 weeks later, patches of grey & white mould have formed on the surface - these are jelly-like, and I wasn't expecting this issue. I have fermented plenty of foods in the kitchen, but this is the only thing which has ever gone mouldy on me! I'm not really sure what I could have done differently, and after much internet trawling, I can't find anyone else who has had the same problem! Any ideas? Do you think what's beneath the surface would be safe to use?

Thanks in advance,
Charlotte

Posts

  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,153
    It very often has a scummy surface. I also get rat tailed maggots (hoverfly larvae) in it.  It will be fine to use after straining.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Mine always end up like this too, but as fidgetbones said, strain it and it will be fine to use. In fact you can keep your nettle fertilizer for up to 1 year. 
  • Oh that's a relief, thanks for putting my mind at rest!
Sign In or Register to comment.