Forum home Wildlife gardening

Beasty ID ?

Does anyone know what bug this is ?

It's green-gold iridescent in colour and is about 1cm in length. It plays dead very well !

Is it a friend ? I hope so as I let it go after taking the photo.

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,736
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,316
    edited June 2018
    Looks like a mint beetle. Devastating to mint. Chrysolina menthastri.

Beautiful colour.

* i stand corrected. I have never seen the rose chafer before. Same sort of iridescent colour and shape as the mint one. I will keep. My eye out for that beasty. 
  • Rose Chafer.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,461
    What a beauty - you could wear that as jewellery.
  • Thanks for the replies. I only popped out into the garden and when I came back in there was a whole raft of them. Great stuff.

I've never seen a rose chafer before but I do have four roses in the front garden where I found it.

It's beautiful alright and, as it doesn't t look to be in the same league as vine weevil or lily beetle, I'm glad I let it go.
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,132
    I used to get them all over my cherry tree every spring.  They turned the leaves to lace and ate all the flower buds.
    Tree too big to spray, even if I wanted to go down the chemical route. Got rid of them by hanging up bird feeders nearby, never been troubled by them since. :)
  • Thanks buttercupdays.

There is a small weeping cherry in the back garden, where I let it go. I have been pretty successful in persuading birds into the back garden so I'm not too worried at the moment, although I'll keep an eye open for damage. Thanks for the heads up.

The main problem I've had in the past with roses is the rose sawfly larva. As most of my roses are in pot, I can move them near the bird feeders and table if necessary.

Thanks to everyone that responded to my question. I've learnt something new this evening.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,189
    It is a great forum. I learn something new every ten minutes.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,736
    That's a lovely beetle. Here are 2 macrophotos I took of it some time ago.

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • Stunning photos, Papi Jo. Simply stunning.