Forum home Problem solving

Whisteria problem

I have a three year old Whisteria whic has grown beautifully each year and flowered however this year it only has had three flowers and the leaves have shrivelled and are dying, it does not suffer from lack of water has it suscumbed to sudden  death and should I dig it up please help !!

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,031
    Try watering it and see if it recovers?  They're pretty tough plants so give it a chance.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • I have been watering it since I noticed the problem but will continue doing so would you suggest feeding it also ?
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,031
    Is it in the ground or in a pot?   If it's in a pot it will be starved and needs its compost refreshed and top dressed every spring.   It may also simply need a bigger pot if it's roots are squished for space and nutrients..

If it's in the ground then you have to ask why it's been short of water but I'd suggest adding some tomato food to the water for the next few weeks but not past mid July and the summer prune.

Have a look at this info on wisteria care from the RHS and don't forget to check the pruning link - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=173 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • It's in the ground but shaded, thank you for the information suggested and I am on to it now