Forum home Wildlife gardening

Leopard slugs

FireFire LondonPosts: 7,190
Hi, I have lots of these slugs in my garden. I am trying to ID them as leopard slugs (or not). Limax maximus.
These are supposed to be the gardeners' friend in that they eat other slugs and dead matter only. But there do seem to be quite a few grey, UK spotty slugs. Leopards seem often to be as stripey as spotty, or more so. More images here.

I have been leaving the ones in my garden, but I do see them on my plants, and they are pretty huge. Lots out tonight. Does anyone else see them and leave them on their veg?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,528
    It looks like one to me.
    I leave them alone.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,668
    I leave them alone too. We see them mainly in the compost heap and in the wilder areas. I've never seen them on the veg patch. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FireFire LondonPosts: 7,190
    Thanks.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,461
    edited June 2018
    I don't know if this is true, but I have read that it's the small slugs that do the most damage to plants. I always wondered, well, what do the big ones eat, then?  Now I know - other slugs.  Perhaps I should stop putting the big slugs in the compost bin, start giving them names and playing with them.
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 940
    We had one of them a baby in the living room yesterday.. I put it back outside. The leopards do not seem to do any damage, just eating dead things.