Forum home Wildlife gardening

Friendly blackbird

Bagpuss57Bagpuss57 South West Posts: 254
Over the past two years I've added more to my garden to encourage birds. Slowly they have been coming and now I have a lovely blackbird that often comes as soon as I go out in the garden. He is becoming quite friendly and stops to look at me and then hops up close to jump into the bird bath or peck at the food I put down near me. I've decided to call him Billy!! I see him everyday. And now I see goldfinches everyday and sparrows and a robin but they're not quite as confident as my friendly blackbird. Do blackbirds stay in the same garden for years? How long do they typically live? I'm not sure if it's the same one ive seen last year or if it's the next generation. I know they nest in the neighbours big hedges. 

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,056
    I don't know if  they survive for long, but back when we had "The beast from the East ", l had a blackbird who would come up to the back door for mealworms etc. It was so icy, l didn't dare go outside! Now l am pretty sure the same one hangs around the garden first thing, and when l open the curtains, he comes running to the back door to be fed, and this goes on several times a day,  including when l am in the garden. Yesterday there were 2 of them, l think one is younger, possible "son of". 
  • Bagpuss57Bagpuss57 South West Posts: 254
    Oh wow I hope mine gets to be as friendly as yours! I will try that tactic in the winter. If the pigeons don't get to the food first the blackbird might come closer to the house to get the food! 
  • PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 1,052
    I raised a blackbird who fell down my chimney as a fledgling many years ago. It was difficult and sad to get him to fend for himself as he got so attached. They are such affectionate and clever birds. He did take off in the end, but that was after many visits home.
    SW Scotland
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,528
    We used to have a female blackbird that came into the kitchen and sat on the worktop waiting for bits of cheese. One day a thrush decided to copy her, lost its nerve, flew into the hall and sitting room and splattered every surface with the contents of its bowels.🤢

Not sure how long blackbirds live, but we have had a wood pigeon with a wobbly leg ,“Cap’n Hook”, in the garden for the last eight years.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • I have had the same blackbirds (Mr and Ms) coming to my garden for the last 3 years almost. I had a look at the RSPB website and they say that Blackbirds are relatively short-lived birds with a life expectancy of only 3.4 years. But this is only the average life expectancy and the actual age of an individual blackbird is highly variable with many not surviving their first year whilst the oldest blackbird recorded was 20 years and 3 months old. 
  • Valley GardenerValley Gardener Posts: 1,850
    Blackbirds are lovely,my daughter rescued one from a cat a few years back.She got advice from the vet who gave it the once over,and said with some TLC it would be fine. She kept her (Beryl) in a big cage for a week or so,then let her go. Beryl kept coming back though,and was very tame.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.