Forum home Problem solving

Advice sought

Hi, is some climbers were plan5ed next to a fence, then a month or so later on a layer of 20mm gravel was put down is there a chance that some salt has washed through as some of the climbers have died, about 4 out of 8 so far. They are different climbers,  clematis, jasmine and honeysuckle, the clematis are worst affected so far. Could anybody help out with any opinions.. thanks

• Sorry the first bit meant to say if some climbers were planted .. etc.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,158
    Gravel bought in bags is usually washed gravel extracted from gravel pits. It does not have salt. Have you taken the gravel from a beach?
    I think it more likely that the plants have suffered from lack of water. Newly planted plants will need a heavy soak once a week for the first summer until they get established.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Hi, a relative of mine has had the issues so I'll try and find out where she got the gravel from but she insists the plants were watered regularly after planting. Thanks for feedback though