Forum home Problem solving

Dying hedge

we cut our garden hedge last year and it appears to be dying. I have tried some brown spot spray but that’s it. It seems to have got worse since removing a load of brambles from the hedge. 
I don’t know what type of hedge it is or where to start with trying to save it - please help! 

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150
    Do you have a photo of it? 
  • Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 2,003
    A photo would definitely  help
  • lilgilllilgill Posts: 3
    Ooops, I thought I’d attached these 
  • lilgilllilgill Posts: 3
    edited June 2018
    Ooops, I thought I’d attached these  

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,125
    edited June 2018
    Your hedge looks as if it is Viburnum tinus and it is suffering a bad attack of Viburnum beetle. Advice here:

Removing the brambles and the dead leaves at the base would improve things a little and a feed and attention to watering, if your weather is dry, would help it recover more quickly.

However, unless you are prepared to blast the hedge with insecticides every spring,your hedge is likely to look like this for part of every year, so it might be worth considering a long term replacement.

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150
    Looking at the photos, it seems your hedge is a 'viburnum tinus' and it's suffering from an infestation of the viburnum beetle.
    I've no first hand knowlege of dealing with this but have added a link to RHS advice page.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=556

Good luck, it looks like quite a large hedge.