Forum home Plants

What to do with this?

MemetraderMemetrader Posts: 48
I have found and rescued a neglected and unhappy shrub from underneath a mound of brambles and weeds. The woody stems look as if there has been no new growth for years and I don't know what it is!

Ideally I would like to revive it and suggestions on how to do that would be appreciated.

• UpNorthUpNorth South Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK Posts: 376
    Looks like Choisya to me.  i'm sure some expertise will follow...
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150
    I'd say it's a skimmia japonica.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,605
    another vote for skimmia

Devon.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,589
    Give it a very good drink as that soil looks parched.  Minimum 10litres now and 10 more tomorrow then scatter round some slow release fertilisers for roses or rhodos and apply a mulch of well-rotted manure or garden compost or similar to retain moisture.  If it is a skimmia it won't like hard tap water and will appreciate a drink mixed with chelated or sequestered iron and some fertiliser for rhodos and azaleas.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 11,279
    IMO Skimmias have a habit of looking a bit "pasty". I would try a seaweed foliar feed.
    He calls her the chocolate girl
    Cause he thinks she melts when he touches her
    She knows she's the chocolate girl
    Cause she's broken up and swallowed
    And wrapped in bits of silver
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,589
    Yes, that's why I suggested a slow release ericaceous feed but a foliar feed would be an instant tonic.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MemetraderMemetrader Posts: 48
    Thank you everyone....  Action taken!