Replacing gravel

Hi

I have an area in my garden laid with gravel, around 4m x 4m. Weeds come up through it every year and I don't have time to keep on top of it.

I had started removing the gravel with the intention of laying a weed membrane and purchasing new gravel, but it seems that the person who owned the house previously has probably topped up the gravel at some point. It's going to take me an absolute age to get rid of it all. I've filled 20 rubble sacks so far and only managed about 5%.

So my question is, can I remove all of the existing weeds, lay the membrane on top of the existing gravel, and then cover the membrane in a layer of new gravel?

That would solve all manner of problems, mostly relating to time and effort, and disposing of the old gravel.

Thanks in advance for your help. Any advice appreciated.

• FireFire LondonPosts: 5,077
    Welcome to the forum. Can I ask why you wanted to get rid of the old gravel?
  • It's dirty and riddled with soil/weeds. I could weed it all, or lift it up to lay membrane and then replace it, but even that will be a huge effort.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,355
    You've seen that weeds will appear in gravel( no matter how deep it is ).
    Don't you think you're going to be back in the same position at some point in the future?
    Maybe remove the membrane and dig the gravel into the ground with some good organice matter and plant it?
    Devon.
  • Probably, but a year (or two) weed free would be nice! As you can tell I'm not a gardener :-)
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,355
    IMHO it's a heck of a lot of effort just to be left looking at bare gravel.
     It's your garden so it's your choice.
    Devon.
    There are lots of lovely creepers and ground cover flowering plants that would love your soily gravel.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • WaysideWayside Posts: 719
    I'm one of those people that gladly went around someone's garden and wheelbarrowed out about a ton of gravel.  Gumtree/Freecycle is a good idea if it's not for you.
    I recently gave away tonnes of gravel for my garden too (putting in beds). I advertised it on local Facebook swap sites and through local community email groups. By the afternoon it was all gone. It's expensive stuff to buy and a PITA you don't want it. Like a lot of garden bulk stuff.