Forum home Wildlife gardening

Hydrangea for bees

Hello, I think I recall that a few weeks ago someone posted a question about pollinator-friendly hydrangea? I have several different types of hydrangea, but I have never really seen any interest from any bees, flies etc.  However, my climbing hydrangea has flowered properly for the first time this year, and yesterday was covered in bees! I've posted some photos  (sorry, they are not very clear) but I hope it's of help to whoever posted the question about it.☺

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,281
    THE RHS publishes a list of pollinator plants organised alphabetically and by season.  For summer they recommend hydrangea petiolaris and hydrangea paniculata but not the other types which is great as I have brought 4 lovely young paniculatas to this garden which should flower well this year and have inherited two of the macrophylla types upon which I have observed no noticeable insect activity.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/science/pdf/conservation-and-biodiversity/wildlife/plants-for-pollinators-garden-plants.pdf 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,190
    It was me that asked. Thanks for the photos! Stunning. I have just bought a climber and some paniculatas. I hope they look as good as yours, @Jules41. Can I ask what position your climber is in? Is it pretty shady?
  • Jules41Jules41 Posts: 178
    Hi, it's sunny in the late afternoon and evening but shady the rest of the time. It's right by the door but it grows ridiculously fast! so it seems to be happy there 😃

Lovely. When did you plant it?
  • Jules41Jules41 Posts: 178
    This is it's 4th year. Last year it had only one small flower and there was nothing before that. I think they take a couple of years to get settled in then they just take off! It needs constant pruning, but on a positive, it clings to the wall but not in the same way as ivy - it's really easy to pull away. My mum has one too, about 10 years old now,  and it's almost completely covered in flowers 🌼
    Fab. Thanks
  • IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364
    That hydrangea looks like the one hanging over next doors fence and it is beautiful. Full of bees and other flying insects.
    In my garden now I have a Knautia Macedonia (well worth buying.)  That is buzzing as are many other alliums.  The flowers of the Cotinus Coggyria are crawling with bees .  Many Heuchera also have neat flower stems the bees like.
    The ground cover of London Pride is also popular with Bees and other insects. 

Obelixx  Thank you for posting that list. 

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

I have a mature climbing hydrangea in the wrong place. It never gets a chance to flower because it's in a narrow walk way. Is it a terribly bad time to try and move it? Probably...
  • IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364
    That hydrangea looks like the  one hanging over next doors fence and it is beautiful,  full of bees and other flying insects.
    In my garden now I have Knautia macedonia which is full of bees, chives and other alliums.   

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'